Tuesday 10 November 2015

Topic 4: Reflection

In my previous post, I mentioned about social media marketing potentially being an ethical issue. I discussed two cases about social media stars being paid to promote products.

While my blog post talked about the bloggers and celebrities who do reviews on almost anything, Clinton's post focused on food bloggers. I am shock to know that ladyironchef has been paid SGD$3,800 to promote a restaurant for a food operator. I feel kind of 'cheated' to know that he is being paid so much to write a 'fake' review...I also agree with Clinton that social marketing is not wrong but those bloggers should state if the review has been sponsored at least.

I often visit danielfooddiary.com to check out food reviews and most of the time, the food served at the cafe or restaurant is not as good as mentioned. However, it is alright for me as his "must try" recommendations are usually one of the best in the restaurant. Without his reviews, I would have no idea what to order. Thus, we can read the reviews, but knowing that they could be sponsored advertorials, we must decide what to 'trust'.

On the other hand, Pearlyn talked about how grammar could be an ethical issue caused by social media. Twitter has a word limit of 140 words and it could a possible reason we cut our sentences short which leads to poor grammar. I am guilty of shortening my sentences, for example, 'What time should we meet tomorrow?' to 'Tomorrow meet what time" Furthermore, bad grammar and spelling mistakes on advertisements can cause damage for the company's reputation. Would you trust a brand that speaks bad English?
Would you send your child to this school? (cr: http://thesignfail.tumblr.com/)
Upon reading other blog posts, I realised there are many possible ethical issues of social media. However, I strongly believe that social media is only a tool and how it is being used depends on us.

Comments by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brown Bobblehead Bunny